Monday, April 13, 2015

Translation and communication are different

For more than 15 years, I have been sending information about Kumamoto to a mailing list called "Kumamoto-i." In the past few years, I have also been sharing information about Kumamoto on a Facebook page called "Kumamoto International." Much of the information that I share on the web comes from other websites.  As I share such information, I sometimes notice that "translating into English" and "communicating in English" are not the same. For example, this post from Kumamoto City's website is a translation of all of the information in the Japanese text, but some important information is missing. Can you guess what that is? In this course, we will think about communication issues such as this one as we study English. Finally, click here to see one of my most popular posts on Kumamoto International.